A Helicopter Emergency Medical Service (HEMS)
The Essex Air Ambulance isn’t just a helicopter; we believe that as the only Air Ambulance in Essex it is vital that the service brings additional medical care and expertise to the scene.
- The flight crew is a Pilot, HEMS Paramedic and a HEMS Doctor who are specially trained senior registrar level doctors. Vital pre-hospital critical care is brought to a patient at the scene enabling life-saving procedures to start at the earliest opportunity.
- The HEMS ethos is to bring the hospital to the patient.
- Once a patient is stabilised the HEMS team will triage patients to the most appropriate hospital if they require specialist care. This saves vital minutes between onset of illness or time of accident to the patient receiving specialist medical care in hospital.
- The helicopter carries full life-support medical equipment.
- The Charity use EMSC Ltd providers of Clinical Governance to review and audit their recent activities in depth, discuss clinical effectiveness and share ideas to continuously improve the service.
- In addition, the pre-hospital care consultants chair weekly case review meetings and fly with our HEMS team of Doctor and Paramedic regularly to supervise their practice. This includes continued professional development and quality assurance thus ensuring the very best clinical practice for the patient.
- EHAAT (HEMS) works closely with air ambulances in London, Kent, Surrey, and East Anglia to ensure full coverage of the areas where they operate.