Applications are invited for medical and paramedical electives with the team. Please use the contact email below, and provide an electronic version of an up-to-date CV as well as a single paragraph detailing why we should select you to spend time with our team. If your requested dates are available we will then require a 'confirmation of study' letter from your University to include your photograph before confirming your placement.
For our part, we promise that you will have exposure to some of the most driven and talented doctors and paramedics practicing in pre-hospital care in the UK at the current time, and we will offer you the opportunity to immerse yourself in our clinical operation and academic programme.
We take a maximum of 4 students at a time for a minimum of 4 and a maximum of 6 weeks. To check availability for your proposed dates, you can view the planner by clicking here.
Student Selected Components
Essex & Herts Air Ambulance Trust has developed links with the University of Cambridge Medical School and this has been extended to other universities. Students are offered a 4-6 week attachment with the team as a ‘Student Selected Component’ (SSC) of their medical training.
During the SSC, students can expect to:
• Learn about the provision of helicopter emergency medicine in the UK
• Take part in daily training exercises with the duty crew
• Present a case study or journal club at a crew meeting or open clinical governance session
• Complete observer shifts on the helicopter or in the rapid response car with the duty crew
• Complete an audit or other project on an element of HEMS work
• Follow a guided study program as an introduction to the important topics in pre-hospital care
Previous students have presented posters relating to their projects at national student and international medical conferences and have submitted journal articles relating to their SSC at EHAAT.
The SSC program has expanded to allow students from universities providing paramedic training and other medical schools in the UK and abroad to take advantage of the programme.
For further information please email electives@EHAAT.org
Please note that by requesting an elective placement you consent to having your name added to the student planner which is freely accessible on the internet.